Sunday, September 11, 2011

Arts

All these serious ethics posts need a little light--so here is something delightful: cooking! I like ethics; I like cooking. (I'm not a master at either one, but I'm learning.) They're both arts, which means they take practice to acquire and they exist in the soul of the one who has them, like a mark of character.

I learned a lot (about cooking!) today. I made twelve mini turkey-pot-pies in a muffin tin: lunch for the whole week! It was the first time I've made pie crust, but undaunted (or ambitious? stupid?) I began. The result: a harrowing journey with success at the end!

Lessons learned:
  1. Make less filling (I had extra and made a pasty!)
  2. Use larger rounds in cups to create better seals.
  3. Use bigger workspace to roll out dough and cut.
  4. Bake at a temperature above 325° for less time.
(I probably won't make these again; the carb : goodness ratio is too high.) In the past few months I have learned so much; there are many more character-prints I need to be perfect. My whole life is a harrowing journey like today's. (I am glad God is in the kitchen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment