Friday, December 2, 2011

Dearth of Advent wreaths...

I went shopping for an Advent wreath yesterday, knowing that I wanted to make an investment in a beautiful piece that would last my adult life. I expected to have to compare several choices. But I couldn't find one. How is that possible? I guess I went to all the wrong places:
  1. Walmart
  2. Target
  3. World Market
  4. Pier One
  5. Bed Bath & Beyond
  6. Michael's
  7. Hobby Lobby
  8. an antique store
At about #3, I got tired of people giving me quizzical looks when I said "Advent wreath." So, I started giving kindergarten-CCD descriptions (it's like a wreath with spots for four candles...?) Everyone sent me to "wreaths" or "Advent calendars." Why don't people know what an Advent wreath is?? Walmart had menorahs in prominent display, and no one would mess up on those! Eventually, I gave up on finding an actual Advent wreath and tried craft stores to see if I could make one. Still, nothing suitable appeared.

I'll keep trying this weekend. Sorry I'm late, Lord!

5 comments:

  1. I'm really surprised Hobby Lobby didn't have one! I know it's a Christian owned store and I heard it was Catholic. Plus they always have great religious stuff when I got like (like a card for my cousin for his Ordination to the Transitional Diaconate.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Maybe I missed them at Hobby Lobby just because I'm a week late. I'm going to try a few parish stores, then a few monastery gift shops, then online, and if none of those are fruitful I'll get creative with some wire.

    Congratulations to your cousin! God reward him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sell them at the craft store I work at. Would you like me to send you one? I'd be happy to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you checked nearby Catholic bookstores?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous: I only know of one and haven't made it there yet. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete