Friday, December 15, 2017

Servant and Doctor

As every July intern (and July upper-level) knows, becoming a physician requires a certain authority, almost a certain hubris. While any leadership role requires poise and prudence, the physician is uniquely in charge. Physicians delegate tasks and they're called "orders." Orders are to be followed, or else the physician is to be called and the orders are to be discussed. Healthcare is team-based and multidisciplinary, but there is still a captain of the ship, and his or her orders are the final word.

It is difficult to maintain an attitude of Christian charity and servanthood while executing this role at work. Worse, I get into habits that make it difficult to be an ordinary person in other settings and to be a receptive soul at prayer. I have noticed that I have to intentionally "switch gears" when I am an ordinary parishioner in the Young Adult group, a cantor at Mass, one of the newest and youngest virgins in the Archdiocese or at the convocation. Even more, I have to be humble when I've been in the wrong in a conflict or when I've been a bad friend and have not kept in touch. I would like to integrate the clinical hubris with the virtue of humility (and common sense) but it seems difficult. Perhaps it will become easier when I'm no longer a trainee, when those in my workplace haven't seen me as an intern who knew nothing. Perhaps it will be easier the more comfortable I am with my scope of practice; perhaps I will have to aggrandize less authority and will simply carry it.

But it seems like a long shot to rely on something spontaneously happening to make it easier. I think I'll have to continue to struggle with changing gears for now, and hope that it becomes easier to drive the stick-shift of my soul through all its settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment